Lost in Translation

Kanako's blog in English from Tokyo (or somewhere else)

17 November, 2007

Korean Drama =Death of the blog and social life

Since last yer, Korean wave finally hit me. It's been a social phenomenon for already several years but finally I catched the wave as well as many other people in Japan!
Influenced by my parents, I started watching a drama they recommended, and that was the beginning of slow death of my blog and social life outside my living room.
Now I watch at least one episode of some Korean drama series one after another before going to bed. And sometimes I even watch 5 episodes in a row until 5am or something...
You might think it's too sad and hopeless, but that's the delice of addiction.


This is the drama I'm currently addicted. It's called "Jumong". It was said "the most addicted drama ever" and so it is.
The story is about ancient Korea in BC 1 century how to regain lost Korean land from Chinese Han Empire and build new united Korea known as Koguryo. And the name of the first King and the founder of Koguryo is Jumong.The drama gives me totally different perspectives on our East Asian history and how Japan got huge influence from Korea. The screenplay is really well written and the quality of image is beyond the level of usual dramas! This is a great epic drama!!
It has 81 episodes and each one is 1 hour long (I'm at 70 episodes right now).....

Watch this below. It's a preview of Jumong.



Historical drama is always very exciting but some love stories are also really good in a cheesy way.
If I recommend 1 historical and 1 love story drama, I would say "Jumong" and "Lovers in Paris".


"Lover's in Paris" basically makes your girly dreams come true!!! Very cheesy but at the same time you are so much satisfied by that.
The story is about poor Korean girl who studies French in Paris, and 2 guys, one is super rich successful young business owner not knowing how to deal with love, and the other is handsome artist type guy being very honest about what he likes.
The 2 guys are related and the family troubles and typical but great love triagle etc.....Hmmmmmm I wanna watch it again!

So, pls take a look a part of it below!



Now in every DVD rental shops in Tokyo, Korean films and dramas occupy bigger section than any other non-American ones.
It is a significant phenomenon thinking back the fact that we hated each other. Even though we still have many political and historical issues lying before us, our relation became sooooooo much closer thanks to the Korean pop culture wave.

I really hope we can keep this relation and make it even better because in the end we share same roots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home