Lost in Translation

Kanako's blog in English from Tokyo (or somewhere else)

23 October, 2007

Cosplay Night

Dress Code: Black tie
It's already a very rare occasion for most Japanese to be required black tie and long dress and it was the occasion. It was the Gala at Suntry Hall which is famous for its "formal" Gala concert once a year. So for the occasion sake, we also dressed up like a true gentleman and a lady.

"Laurent looks so good in tax! Ahhhh, you're not Japanese!!" : said my father.

Yes, there were so many Japanese wearing tax so uncomfortably and most of them looked simply funny...
It was the moment I couldn't help but realize that it ain't made for Japanese...
In fact, we mostly see weserners as models in tax in wedding magazines and such. And obviously westerners are more favorable to play a role of a "prince charming".

The Gala seemed to be a cosplay night for upper class Japanese to enjoy Western manners as their favorite play.
I have to admit that I also very much enjoyed my own cosplay!!
I have several fancy dresses for special occasions but in this country, there isn't many chance to wear them. So, I had good fun to pretend to be a real lady in black.

Cosplay is usually considered as a weird hobby for otaku who are addicted to cartoon charactors, but I realized that it could be considered more seriously. As everybody has fantasy to be someone else. Fashion has been developed from such fantasy.
Without cosplaying, how boring the life can be!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home