Lost in Translation

Kanako's blog in English from Tokyo (or somewhere else)

14 December, 2006

In a mood for Christmas

I'm not Christian and my family isn't keen to the event and which is quite normal in this country. Almost no family gets a real pine tree every winter and decorate it with traditional ornaments altogether. We don't gather for Christmas to have nice and big family Christmas dinner which make you put some extra holiday weight. Except kids, we don't usually rush into one shop after another for intensive Christmas shopping.
It's all because of the cultural difference. In Japan, Christmas became somehow an event for couples like a second Valentine's day or something to get together and go to fancy restaurant to eat fixed special meal as any other couples in the restaurant, or for kids to convince their parents to buy their favorite toys under Christmas' name.
I grew up in such situation, and now I became very much keen to Christmas. (Well, not religiously but as an event quite international already) Laurent and I bought a Christmas tree, a wreath at the etrance, a snow dorm, candles, and there'll be loads of presents under the tree ;))

Since my girl freinds are busy with their family and boyfriends on the Christmas weekend, I'll have a nice Christmas lunch with them this weekend, on 22 Friday, my colleagues and I are planning to wear something red to come to office, and on 24, we'll have a Christmas party at our friends house with other French-Jaapnese couples and their babies.
And even if my parents are not so keen to Christmas, I'll get presents for them and then at least I can enjoy the mood of the season ;))





Wish you all very merry Christmas!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home