Boys and Girls
There is a change happening between boys and girls, I guess.
Boys are becoming like girls and girls are becoming like boys.
Typically, boys hesitate to get married or have children and girls can't wait to have the chance. However, I feel that this stereotype would be changing.
Last week, I met my male friends separately. They both are 23 years old and have a steady girlfriend.
And they both said to me that they want to get married with the girlfriend and have a baby.
I was quite surprise to hear such thing from 23-24 year-old guys. Im my image, this is girls' line. Usually, this age of guys are likely to have fun with girls and not to think of serious relationship yet, or they hesitate to make their relationship serious even their girlfriends insist because they are not confident interms of career and money.
But it seems to be opposite nowadays.
Girls tend to be cautious and hesitate to make such decisions because they want to have successful career and build their own status. Before, (at least in Japan), the most important things for girls to do is hunting and getting agreement of marriage from a wealthy man. But since many girls became independent enough and have sufficient life alone, they feel "Hmmm...there must be better guys for me", and get richer and older looking for a Mr. Perfect.
On the other hand, guys now start being relaxed about their manhood, I think. They don't think like "Ok, I'll support my family all by myself!" anymore. They find fine for the idea to help each other in terms of money (and perenthood or household matters). Also, recent guys tend to be satisfied with their girlfriend as their life partner, and express such feeling quite honestly.
Hmmm...Japan is obviously modernizing. Marriage and having baby thing are the last place we need some revolution.
Of course my friends are not representing whole young generation in Japan, but I couldn't help but wonder (like "Sex and the City") if girls can get everything they want, career, status, love and family, if they are too stubborn about their life, especially when guys are not.

1 Comments:
I think that you are right about this, many people are saying the same thing in Europe. And also, because being single is not seen as a shame anymore, but more and more like a proof of independence.
Post a Comment
<< Home