Human Torpedo


The other day, I went to a premier for a Japanese film. The title should be translated as "Sea with no exit". It's about a story of young people who sacrifice their lives for the War (WW2) by doing Kamikaze with human torpedos. The star of the film is a young Kabuki actor who I knew for some reasons and this film is his first one. And the premier was at the Kabuki Theatre in Tokyo.
I haven't heard of such human weapon until watching this film. The weapon looks like this.

In this bomb-shape tube, a person can get in and drive only forward to attack enemy's submirines.
In the film, people wondered what is nation to die for. Who are the enemies??
"What we call enemy also have family and friends" they said.
But most of them volunteered to sacrifice their lives to kill such enemies and die for the nation.
This kind of mentality is somehow resemble to what we have today like suicide bombings. I wonder if bombers know who they are dying for. And also for "the enemies" as well, they don't know who they are killing back. There are only ideas like "enemy", "nation", "justice" and so on. But at the end, everything is simply mere killing and loosing lives.
I couldn't help but wonder if the young boys who died attacking US submarines with human torpedos lost their lives for good or they were just wasted for the manupulative ideas of war...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home