Lost in Translation

Kanako's blog in English from Tokyo (or somewhere else)

21 September, 2006

No more skinny models!!

In Spain and in the UK, supermodels had to measure their hight and weight to appear on catwalks because if their result show that they are too skinny, then they would be banned from the show.
When I read the article above on The Guardian online (Click the title above-there is a link to the article), I understood the concern Ms. Jowell stated that young people tend to insist being on heavy diet to be like supermodels. So, if the models are too skinny, they might give the wrong influence and lead young people to unhealthy body...Well, I cannot really deny the influence of supermodels in regard of so-called "perfect body images" on non-supermodel race. But the standard which Spanish authorities put this time can be regarded as too much. If your BMI (Body Mass Index) is less than 18, you are officially skinny and banned from the catwalks. BMI can be calculated like below:

BMI=your weight(kg)/the square of your hight(m)

So, in case of supermodel, if you are 1.75m then you have to have at least 56kg to be on catwalks!

So, I tried to calculate my BMI and the result was 18.5!!
Wow I almost be banned!!! This time I calculate with my weight which I gained since I came back from London, so it means I was definitely banned before.

But hey, I don't consider myself as fat but also I don't see myself as unhealthy skinny either.

Yet I still understand the concern toward some extremists on diet, paying huge amount of miney to have plastic surgery, or using drug to be slim, but condemnation towards fashion models is unfair. If authorities want to prevent the unhealthy influence, they should have done something to regulate extreme, artificial, and illegal cases instead of supermodels!

Look, how skinny she is. She is a Japanese supermodel, Ai Tominaga. She looks incredibly skinny but she is not only a successful supermodel but also a mother of a son in around my age.

Being "healthy" or "unhealthy" cannot only be measured by numbers. There are so many people who feel healthy with their own balance.

1 Comments:

At 6:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

18,5! Wow! I am 21, and if I calculate it right, I'd like to be 20... But not less than that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home