Lost in Translation

Kanako's blog in English from Tokyo (or somewhere else)

13 September, 2006

5 years on...going too far...


2 days ago was 5 years anniversary of 9.11. I just can't believe that was 5 years ago! (And I really can't believe that GWB has been his post for that long and 2 more years...)
I remember when I first heard that news, I was taking a long nice bath. Suddenly my mother rushed in there and told me "Oh my god! something horrible is happening in NY!". I just jumped out but still didn't expect what I would see. Actually we were in NY just 10 days before the event and had shopping around that area. I remembered clearly how I felt when I loooooooked up the World Trade Canter.
I just can't believe it's been already 5 years and what has been happening since then.
I watched a documentary/drama on it focusing on people survived with their interviews. It was totally dramatic! Some of them survived from the exact floor the plane clashed into.
But despite all the dramatic scene, I couldn't help being caught with the numbers it showed: the death toll of US army so far is bigger than victims of 9.11...and of course it's easy to imagine how much greater number of Iraqi or Afghan people died because of the consequence of 9.11...

I watched 9.11 documentary/drama every year since 2001 over and over, but why no one even think about making same documentary/drama on Iraqi and Afghan people????? I know there had nothing wrong with victims of the World Trade Center, but so do people in the Middle-East.

I couldn't believe my ears yeaterday when I heard Anderson Cooper, a star reporter of CNN, used a word "enemy" so many times in his report from Middle-East...Maybe it was not the first time, but I felt that I saw the end of American Journalism for real. (I know it has ended already in 2001, but the fact that they are still doing same thing, it's official, it's the end.) That's so ironic because I'm working for CNN as an intern, but if I can excuse myself, in Tokyo Bureau, there is still journalistic moral because we are far from US!!)

The picture I got from BBC online is the future of the ground zero. I just can't help horrifying what would happen next.

2 Comments:

At 11:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. 9.11 was horrible but 'the war on terror' is worse.

 
At 5:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so right about it. I agree with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home